Population in Brief 2022: Key Trends
The Population in Brief (PIB) 2022 publication provides key updates on Singapore’s population. Here’s a snapshot of the key trends:
1. Overall population
• Singapore’s total population stood at 5.64 million as at June 2022. The total population grew by 3.4% from June 2021 to June 2022, but remained slightly lower than the pre-COVID level of 5.70 million in June 2019.
• The Singapore Citizen (SC) population increased by 1.6% from 3.50 million in June 2021 to 3.55 million in June 2022. The citizen population continued to age, with 18.4% aged 65 and above in June 2022, compared to 17.6% in June 2021. The Permanent Resident (PR) population increased by 6.3% from 0.49 million in June 2021 to 0.52 million in June 2022, slightly below the pre-COVID level of 0.53 million in June 2019. The changes to the citizen and PR populations were mainly due to the easing of travel restrictions related to COVID-19, as more citizens and PRs living overseas returned to Singapore.
• The non-resident population increased by 6.6% from June 2021 to June 2022 to 1.56 million, but was still lower than the pre-COVID level of 1.68 million in June 2019. The bulk of the increase came from Work Permit Holders in the Construction, Marine Shipyard, and Process (CMP) sectors, as a result of the easing of travel restrictions related to COVID-19.
2. Citizen marriages
• In 2021, there were 23,433 citizen marriages, which was 20.6% more than the 19,430 citizen marriages in 2020. This was also higher than the 22,165 citizen marriages in 2019 (pre-COVID). The higher number of citizen marriages in 2021 is partly due to the progressive easing of COVID-19 safe management measures, which enabled some couples to resume their marriage plans in 2021.
3. Citizen births
• There were 31,713 citizen births in 2021, similar to the 31,816 citizen births in 2020. The resident total fertility rate recovered slightly from 1.10 in 2020 to 1.12 in 2021. However, this was still lower than the pre-COVID level of 1.14 in 2019.
PIB 2022 is available here.